Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Everyday, You Are Bigger and Stronger

My Beloved Son,

        I'm sorry it has been so long since I've written you, though it will seem like no time has lapsed at all when you read this. I think it has been about a month, but it has seemed much longer than that. I think about you every day, and hope that you are getting all the nutrients that you need. A couple of weeks ago, I went to the doctor for your official "sex check," though we already knew you were a boy. I really just wanted to see you and hear your heart beat. At 13 weeks, you moved around one time, though it seemed like such a big deal when you did! At 16 weeks, you were moving all over the place. During the check up, the doctor had a hard time keeping your heart beat on the doppler machine, because you kept turning. It just made me laugh. I already know that you are going to be a very active toddler/child, so your activity in the womb doesn't surprise me. Today, I got a little worried, because I hadn't felt you move for a while. Now, I can tell, you've definitely woken up. I encourage you to move around more. You can kick me and wake me up at night, that's okay. I will need to get used to being woken up in the middle of the night. I will probably be happy when I wake up, because I will know that you are okay and you are strong.

In class, I learned that babies are nocturnal by nature. They have to be programmed to sleep at night and not during the day. This has to do with the time when people were hunters and gatherers. Babies would sleep in a sling on the mothers back while she was out gathering nuts and berries during the day. It wasn't safe for mom to stop and feed the child for 30 minutes at a time, because of predators. I also learned all about how to properly breast feed, but I will spare you the details since you are a boy :).

Here are pictures of your sonograms. I know you will love the fact that I've shown one, in particular, to everyone. You'll see why:



In the bottom photo, you look like you have tiny little legs, but the top one does a better job at showing those meaty legs. You also look like you have big lips, but that could just be your lip muscles.

I'm really starting to show now (or should I say that YOU are starting to show?), though that just seems to be my opinion. It also depends on the shirt that I wear too. Here's the photo that your dad took on Saturday (3 days ago) before we went to a Braves' game:


In the beginning, I was pretty insecure about gaining the weight. When I look in the mirror now, I feel more beautiful than I've ever felt and, for once, don't feel insecure about gaining weight. It helps that I look really good in those pants. Your Aunt Karla (I don't know if she is okay with me calling her "Aunt," because she isn't really your Aunt, but she's always felt and been like a sister to me.) let me borrow some maternity clothes, and now I feel fabulous! I finally have clothes that fit me that aren't exercise pants/pajamas.

Son, I really love you. I worry sometimes that something might happen to you, but I always feel comforted to know that I got a blessing when I found out that I was pregnant with you. I was blessed that the pregnancy would go well and you would be healthy. I hope that you like me, and we have a good relationship. I'm going to do my best to raise you to know right from wrong and to find joy in this life and the next. I'll do my best to keep my temper when I get upset. I know I'll make mistakes, but I hope you'll forgive me. Don't be one of those teenagers that doesn't want anything to do with their parents, okay? I want kisses and hugs every day until you move out. Society is wrong. It's okay for boys to cry and show their emotions. 

Thinking of you and loving you always,
Mom

1 comment:

  1. I love you and one day you're son will love these letters !!!

    ReplyDelete